Thursday, February 4, 2010

Guys that Remind Me of Dad, Stages of Things, & J.K. Rowling

***
For some reason, this chap reminds me of my dad?

I think it's the position of the pipe he's holding & the his expression.
Also, I could see my dad wearing something like this -- no, not in an ironic way.
***
"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."

-- J.K. Rowling

As a supervisor, this is something I want to press home to my staff: mistakes are a piece of learning. We can not be afraid to try new things because greatness can come from it: an invaluable lesson, success of a program, something we didn't think possible or even consider. Seems to me it's a lot like science: you investigate one thing and sometimes discover something else.

And really, it's the same for education and art: you have to take a risk to really make a stab at anything. When did we start leaning towards caution? Interesting in a society like this. The rules business. I'm not saying we should all break the law and beat up old ladies. No. What I'm saying is that we have to encourage intellectual curiosity.

No comments: