Monday, March 3, 2008

Da Doctor is in Da House

Hey there friend: you feeling down about life? Don’t worry! There’s a POETRY DOCTOR who can help you, and her name is Daisy Goodwin. Seriously: this is not a joke. If you go to this woman’s website, she will prescribe you poems based on how you answer a few questions.

Yeah, I tried it.

First, I was asked how I was feeling today.
I answered with: I feel great!

Next, I was asked to tell the doctor why I felt this way.
I answered with: I’m just enjoying life.

My prescription was William Wordsworth:

My Heart Leaps Up When I Behold

MY heart leaps up when I behold

A rainbow in the sky:

So was it when my life began,

So is it now I am a man,

So be it when I shall grow old

Or let me die!

The child is father of the man:

And I could wish my days to be

Bound each to each by natural piety.

W. Wordsworth

Goodwin has a book: 101 Poems That Could Save Your Life.

Ladies and Gents, we now have a new genre: Self-Help Poetry.

I can't lie: I kind of like that this is happening. I bet people in Literary Land are raising their fists in anger while ranting about how poetry shouldn't be made mainstream. It's like the punk kids in high school screaming because ripped jeans and Ramones shirts became popular.


Me? I'm glad if someone picks this book up, reads some Wordsworth, and not only feels better but decides to read more poetry (anthology or not).

Poetry Prescriptions @ Daisy Goodwin’s website.


1 comment:

eucalyptusraven said...

Thanks for the comment! Wait, did you go to Hollins?