Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Read Between the Lines

When I was in elementary school (shoutout to Chambers Elementary!), I was really into reading. I mean, it seems as if all English majors or Liberal Arts brats were into reading. Do you all remember when Pizza Hut gave out personal pan pizzas if you read a certain amount of books? Man. I was all about that: I think I even have my button somewhere at home (i.e. you had a button where star stickers signified how close you were to cheesy glory). I mean, I read for more reasons than a person pan pizza, but boy if that button and that prize didn't make the deal that much sweeter (oooh: I'm restraining myself from making a pun; consider yourself lucky).

Anyway, now there's another kind of literary encouragement (coughbribecough): If kids read a certain amount of books, Barnes and Noble will give them a FREE book.

How It Works:

1. Kids read any 8 books.

2. Kids use the Summer Reading Journal to tell us their favorite part of each book. A parent/guardian signs it when it's complete.

3. Students bring their completed journal to a Barnes & Noble store between May 29th & September 2nd, 2008.

4. We'll give them a coupon for a FREE book! They choose from a list of exceptional paperback titles."

Man. I would have been all over this. Why can't they do this for adults? I think it would be cool for National Poetry Month (so more peeps could read the classics) or to promote history and other business. Still: good job Barnes and Noble.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I believe the program you are referring to is "Book It!" Apparently this program is still active! And I agree. Where are the adult versions of these programs?!

LBeezee said...

I KNOW! IS ANYONE ON THE INTERNETS LISTENING? There are enough English majors in the land (and enough hipsters who could/would rock the Book It buttons) for this to work.

Why am I not kidding AT ALL?