Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Visual Scores: Vasily Kandinsky & Trimpin

I could get lost in: the following artists' work, the very IDEA of a visual score, my own back-forth-forth-back business of what it means to experience sound. Look!

Trimpin's "Score for PHFFFT"

This is a visual score "after" or inspired by Vasily Kandinsky (his work is below: be patient). Trimpin's explanation is as interesting as the piece itself. "I remember as a child helping to build huge, wooden discs to set on fire at night and roll off a ramp to hang in the air and fall into the valley below, as part of an old German festival. I heard the whistling and crackling of the wet wood as it rolled down the ramp and thought of opera. I asked the other boys, `Do you hear that?' They said no. I like to think my work enables other people to hear what I hear."

Okay, so here's the source of inspiration:
Vasily Kandinsky's "Succession, April 1935"

A piece inspired by this piece. Let your eyes settle on the shapes and colors. Talk about a new way of mapping out chords. Or rather, would it be a new-old or an old-new way since the piece was made forever ago? Regardless, you can still catch my drift if you don't get too hung up on the (MY) details. A visual response to sound / "the visual implications of sound" / collision and then separation of senses / measure, score, and record(ing)s : Do you hear/see my (un)reeling?

No comments: