Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Linda Nemec Foster, Grégoire Alexandre, and Fitting My Life in My Car

***
In the Vicinity of Orion's Arm

"like the star beaming outward past its death"
-Robert Wrigley

Every day we die
a little more.
My young son
doesn't believe me;
with the telescope
he got for Christmas
he points to the stars,
unfailing lights of the past,
as examples of how difficult
it is to kill anything.
Infinity has not yet
begun to trouble him.
As if Pascal's true
fear of the eternal
silence of the heavens
was all a hoax.

How can I tell him
he's wrong. That death
is one theory of celestial
movement. And there
is no other. That what
we see in the sky
are ghost images:
the moon a blank
mirror, the galaxy
an open wound,
the universe a thin
veil of dust hiding
the empty mind of God.

I only know what
I know. How the universe
looks the same in every
direction. Layered petals
of rose or bleeding
womb. I only know
this night in late
January, sub-zero
temperatures, his
father positioning
a telescope in the frozen
snow of the backyard.
As if he could count
the endless blur of stars.
Imagining the faces
of everyone he's ever
loved who has died.

-- Linda Nemec Foster
***
Image = © Grégoire Alexandre
Source Align Leftviaviavia

So, those folks who know me in the real life know that I'm about to move yet again. I grew up in the Catskill region of NY, attended school near the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, have spent most summers out near the ocean of Cape Cod, and currently reside in Nawlins.

I'm headin' to da Bean -- Bostonia -- by fall.

The great thing is that I've downsized all of my possessions so that they can truly fit in my car. I own little furniture -- my roommates came with more than enough for the living room, kitchen, and dining room, and I don't need much in my own space. I'm gone every single summer and travel a lot, so physical things are really more of a hassle than a luxury or joy.

It's actually kind of comforting to know that my possessions can feasibly fit into my sedan.

However! One of the great things about this move is that I could see myself in MA for quite some time. Thus, I may -- gasp! -- invest in my very own furniture. We'll see. I've got a gaggle of potential roommates, so there may not be a lot of room for new trinkets.
***

No comments: