Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Graffiti Art in Reverse

I love street art so much so that I taught graffiti and stenciling when I was the Creative Arts Coordinator at camp. Don’t h8 (as the kids I work with would say): I was not teaching delinquency. Instead, I explained the power of symbols and how graffiti links back to hieroglyphics, cave paintings, and other forms of communication (and art).

“Paul Curtis aka Moose is no regular graffiti artist. In fact, he’s the reverse-graffiti artist. He created his street art by *cleaning* the dirt and grime off of surfaces!

Authorities are baffled: is selective cleaning a crime?

The tools are simple: A shoe brush, water and elbow grease, he says.

British authorities aren’t sure what to make of the artist who is creating graffiti by cleaning the grime of urban life. The Leeds City Council has been considering what to do with Moose. 'I’m waiting for the kind of Monty Python court case where exhibit A is a pot of cleaning fluid and exhibit B is a pair of my old socks,' he jokes.

Sourcing is Sexy (and so is Awesome Alliteration)


But yeah:
I like this project and NPR agrees with me.


No comments: